Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Topic #9

Teacher's Choice

I propose these four image for the 2nd/3rd grade students that I meet with. Because of the self portraits lessons the students have been doing, we have focused recently on images of portraits. The classes that I have encountered are many times going beyond stage 1 viewers, with many that use conditional language and inference. These images are in the Grade 2 level on the VTS website, and we have done some from this level before. I think that the students will find them interesting with the different settings of people and action, and yet not too different to be bewildering

Waiting for the Train by Garin Baker

Prairie Fire by Francis Blackbear Boisin

Parade on Hammond by Allan Rohan Crite

The Circus by Georges Seurat

3 comments:

  1. I really like Waiting for the Train. There seems to be a lot of detail that kids can notice in that image. The colors and textures are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Circus" instantly reminded me of our class' VTS at SLAM! I like that one because there seems to be a lot to pick out in the audience. I also agree with Sadara about the train image as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Housen and Yenawine have selected these images and even field tested them, but I want you to step beyond and insert your own ideas here! What four might you add? I know you have great ideas and can locate images that you can call "your own." Following the visual guidelines these offer, propose four more! I want to see YOUR thinking here. I'll wait!

    ReplyDelete