Assessing Student Engagement & Learning:
I am seeing a new group of 2nd/3rd
graders for each VTS session. This group was a more talkative and louder group
than the previous. My energy level was
lower than last weeks too and I wondered if this would have an effect on my performance.
After looking at the video of my
performance, which was a little uncomfortable, I now have a better picture of
how I can improve based on the last one.
The student engagement was high. Many hands were in the air
to call on. These students have been
exposed to VTS and seemed interested overall. It bothered me that one boy to my left and in
front didn’t seem interested and was looking down most of the time. I wondered
to myself how I can get his attention. I
also had a couple of challenges. Using
an image related to the new unit on Portraiture, we viewed an image of a Native
American boy titled Nikkanochee by Frank Wilkin. One of the first speakers went long on talking
about his family and their “Indian heritage” and I tried to redirect him to the
image. After looking at the video I
noticed that many of the observations were repetitious and wished I had notice that
had been happening so I could redirect. I
should have acknowledged areas of agreement and emphasized “what more can we
find”.
Many spoke about the figure being an “Indian” and give me
evidence why by pointing to either the bow and arrows that the figure is carrying
or the clothing worn. When paraphrasing
I would use the words “Native American” or “American Indian”. Mary gave me prior notice of the image to
study ahead of time and to anticipate language that might not be the most
appropriate and to make sure that we keep a safe environment for all. We had a disagreement whether the figure is a
boy or a girl. A few thought it could be
a girl because of the long hair but others disagreed, pointing out that Native
American boys had long hair at this time and one student also mentioned that
due to religious beliefs, hair was not cut short. I think based on the interest exhibited; this
image was memorable and appropriate to introduce the idea of portraits.
Reflecting, Practice and Planning:
This discussion did not have the same flow as the first.
After looking at the video I discovered that I forgot the first question!! I somewhat paraphrased it and it was a good
thing that these students were familiar with VTS. I think that helped a lot. I learned to hold my card in my hand. Also, I
was given a good suggestion from Lori that I think will help and it is “have a
home pose”. Hold the card with two hands when you are not
pointing at an area. Remember to come
back to the pose after you are done pointing.
It will help me be more consistent too. I saw in the video that my hands
sometimes would freeze in front of the image as I was talking to someone, which
could be really distracting.

I too was uncomfortable watching myself but it was really helpful to be able to see how I act and what I need to work on. I like the idea of a home pose and I think that will be very helpful to you. I do something similar; I hold my cell phone to keep a stopwatch going and I hold it with both hands, and the only time I move is to point at what someone is talking about. I think it’s just an easy way to stand by the image while waiting for the next person to talk.
ReplyDeletePeer Coaching #2
ReplyDeleteKaj,
I feel for you-having to VTS with different groups, but I think this challenge will help you be a VTS master by the end of the semester! :) Don't be hard on yourself... what works with one group may not work with another. Also, I noticed you said these students had experience with VTS, and I wonder if their talkative behaviors are the result of different teacher expectations. I also wonder if the repetitious observations and personal narratives students gave were the result of their familiarity with the topic of the image. Even for me, it's hard to look at an image from a different lens when I have been inundated with several similar images.
Your intentional paraphrasing with appropriate language was excellent! This was a great teaching opportunity without having to point out a "wrong answer" or misuse of the word. I can see how VTS works to build language skills in a non-threatening environment through your example. Kudos!
In your reflection, you said you noticed that you forgot the first question... :). This questions may have helped redirect, but I think the second question works best for me because of the word "more". This may not have the same effect on younger viewers...I'm not sure. Thank you for sharing Lori's suggestion, as it is a good one that I may try also. I tend to hold my arm in front of the image too, but didn't think of it until I read your post.
I think you are doing really well with VTS. Try not to compare one group to the next when thinking about your progress, just focus on your behaviors. All groups are different and present different challenges, and in your case, you are the only common denominator. You're definitely reflecting an planning well, which can only lead to continued growth.
Great work, Kaj!
Ginia
You were way too hard on yourself with this discussion, Kaj! Your neutrality was great and once again, I appreciate your calm and inviting demeanor with the kids. Your observations in this post are also insightful, which evidences your growing understanding of VTS. We all get better when we watch ourselves on video, and I know you will benefit from this experience just as I have. I"ve noticed lately that the student you spoke of who droned on and on hasn't done this in the past. There is a possibility that his family may move and I think this has impacted this boy's focus and ability to concentrate. Children bring now only knowledge and experience, but personal baggage to class with them which neither they nor we can't control. I know your patience was appreciated by the student and also served as something to plan for about if this should happen again (and with kids, I"m sure it will! LOL!!) You have a lot of stressors - kids you don't know well, a new instructional method and ME in the background, so cut yourself some slack! I have every confidence that any roughness in this discussion will get smoothed out in weeks to come and your practice grows!! You're gonna be great!!
ReplyDelete