Friday, September 5, 2014

Blog Topic #2

VTS Practice/”Dress Rehearsal” (professional peers)

For my VTS practice this week I gathered up 5 colleagues in my office at the Learning Center. Three of them are Math and Statistics professors, one an English professor and one a staff member (office manager).  I got them settled around the break room table and gave them a little introduction. The interest started high and several started talking over each other, so I had to remind them to speak one person at a time. I used Winslow Homer’s “Dad is Coming,” a painting that seemed to have many elements to talk about.  From my previous attempt at VTS and my own self-reflection, it seemed to me that I should focus on a couple of weaker areas.  One such area is remembering what is given as evidence and to paraphrase back to the group more effectively, and the other is linking ideas presented and to highlight areas of agreement or non-agreement.

The feedback at the end was helpful. The main takeaways were:
   o   They all agreed that they looked more deeply at the artwork than they ever would have on their own
   o   They all commented that they never had any formal training in looking at art
   o   Some wanted me to direct them with questions to look at various elements
   o   One person commented that I should write down the comments, similar to how I was                           paraphrasing, so that I was validating ideas and helping keep track of them.
   o   They felt that when I said “what more can we find?” that I was wanting a certain answer and that         they were missing the right one (I wonder if my tone of voice had something to do with that?)
   o   They also noticed when things became redundant and thought the discussion had come to an end.


Even though these people teach on the college level, they all could see the benefit of VTS on many different levels of students. 

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting that your group thought that "What more can we find?" meant that you were looking for a certain answer. I think that is partially because they are adults, and have been taught that there is a right answer. I think that in a potential classroom after students repeat this process multiple times, they will realize you're not looking for one answer. Also, if they ask you what the right answer is and hear you say there isn't one, they will pick up on that as well. Just remind them about chapter one, that this process is giving them permission to wonder, and YOU are wondering WITH them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaj, In response to the feedback you received...I think that NOT asking specific questions about the elements in the painting forces the participants to search the artwork themselves and elicit more creative responses. I think your colleagues should be reminded that VTS is less about teaching facts about art, and more about how to view and interpret art without prior knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Sounds like a group of left-brainers. That could explain their reaction to "What more can we find?" combined with their expectation of a right answer; also their desire to be lead to a right answer. (Sounds like more VTS would do them good!) The deep noticing comment seems to be consistent with most of the peer dress-rehearsals. Sounds like it was a positive experience for them and you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaj--it sounds like this went great. I had a lot of really similar comments from my peers, especially about how VTS really encourages you to search for more and revisit things you may have overlooked. Glad you had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete