Sunday, September 28, 2014

VTS Peer Coaching #1


Dionne -


I am glad to hear that your group is becoming more comfortable with VTS and engaging on a deeper level.  I am interested in your insights with adults which will be different than the experience I am having with 2nd and 3rd graders.  For me, I envision working in a community arts setting and if that is true, I should become comfortable using VTS with many different age groups and levels of art viewers.  How does having advanced viewers effect your performance?  I would think that the discussion would move on a faster and deeper level maybe requiring some more familiarity with the artwork.  Like you said if one is more familiar with the work then one could plan and anticipate areas of probable discussion and themes.  This would seem to me to help with keeping the VTS discussion flowing and responding quicker to the speakers especially at pointing out areas and paraphrasing.  I know paraphrasing is challenging to me too and I want to improve, so I will try this approach that you mentioned.  I like the idea of a dry run with another person to get some feedback.  I also can relate to what you said about using the standard phrase “What do you see that makes you say that?” You said that it seemed to help when you did not change it around too much.  I think I can see your point.  It may help with flow of the discussion (especially at the beginning of our training) and not sound too disjointed.  Sounds like you had a good experience. Keep up the good work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment